Tuesday 2 April 2013

Olivia

Sunday March 24th at 7:31pm, I became a first time Aunt!

The happiest family

My brother and his wife gave birth to a beautiful baby girl they named Olivia. Although they live far away, I feel a bond with this new addition to the family. I have a new responsibility to be a role model, and a loving part if her family who is there to guide this young girl into her life and be there for her through everything. I hope that I can be someone to laugh with her, teach her, cuddle with her, and love her through her life, despite the geographical distance between us. For the first time in my life I feel like I'm actually getting a little older and feeling the responsibilities of adulthood. I have always been the youngest child, so I never really had these feelings before. Obviously I have had responsibilities all through my life, but nothing as important as being a caregiver and role model to such an innocent little person. Olivia has come into the world with bright beautiful eyes that have yet to see what is in store. It is the job of her family to shape her into an amazing young women with hopes, dreams, ambition, opinions, beliefs and love. I have no doubt her parents are going to do all this and more for her, but I also have a responsibility to uphold in that development.




I am currently living in a world where everyone is either having a baby, just had one, thinking about one, or talking about one! Ever since I got married a little over a year ago, people have been asking me when we are going to have kids. Although by the 100th time, this question gets a little irritating, it is understandable. It's the next exciting stage in our lives, but at the same time it is a huge step that I don't know we are ready to take yet. Besides, there is nothing wrong with wanting to build the relationship and bond between my husband and myself before we take the next step forward. If anything, I think this growing period together will help us when there is a screaming child, a cat scratching up the carpet, the phone ringing, dinner burning on the stove, and someone knocking at the front door. We have to make sure that we are on the same page and I think waiting a little bit after we get married is the right move for us.

I am a firm believer in, what I call, my inner self. It's that little voice in the back of your head, or the feeling in your stomach that tells you you are making the right decision. The one I felt when I first set on eyes on my husband. It's that little boost you need to feel a little more confident. I trust this feeling with everything I am, and I know that it will let me know when I am ready.

I keep telling people that we are building our foundation. We will never have this time back. After we have a child, my husband and I are forever going to transform into parents which holds a pretty hefty responsibility that will stay with us as long as we are alive! I want to enjoy the time with just my husband for a little while longer. I trust that we will both know when the time is right, and for now, we have little Olivia to keep us occupied!

Laughing away! I love this face!

No comments:

Post a Comment