Tuesday 2 April 2013

Delicious Dinner Rolls

The best thing about any holiday is cooking those special recipes you look forward to all year! Whether it's Christmas cookies, Easter jello eggs, or Thanksgiving Pumpkin pie! 

Me? Well, I look forward to the dinner rolls! I don't know what it is about having bread with dinner, but the only time we ever do it is on a holiday! I decided to try my hand at making some rolls this year. I'm sorry but I don't think a holiday meal is complete without some amazing, warm, right out of the oven, bread rolls! Thanks to the one of my favourite, and most used wedding shower gifts, I was able to make some with ease! The Cuisinart Convection Bread Maker is my new best friend. I use it all the time and am NEVER disappointed! 


Bread Machine Dinner Rolls from Betty Crocker
Ingredients:

1 cup water
2 tbsp softened butter
1 egg
3 1/4 cups bread flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tsp yeast (I used quick rise yeast because I'm impatient) 
a little bit of melted butter to brush on rolls before cooking


Directions:

Measure carefully, placing all ingredients except melted butter in bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. For my machine they suggest putting all the liquid ingredients in first, then the flours and sugars etc. and leave the salt and yeast for last.  Select Dough/Manual cycle. Do not use delay cycle when using yeast.




Let the machine knead the dough as required. My machine has a rise cycle where it tells you how long to let the dough rise. Once complete, remove dough from pan, using lightly floured hands. Cover with a dishtowel and let rest 10 minutes on lightly floured surface.



Line a cookie sheet with parchment (or you can grease the cookie sheet with shortening if you prefer).  Divide dough into 15 equal pieces. ( I was able to make more like 20-23 good sized rolls with this recipe). Shape each piece into a ball (or as close to a ball as you can get!) Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Cover and let rise in warm place 30 to 40 minutes or until they double in size. (Mine didn't rise too much more after they had the rise cycle in the bread machine.)  It is handy to know when the dough is ready if an indentation remains when touched.



Heat oven to 375°F. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. If you want you can brush tops with melted butter. Serve warm, or cool on wire rack.

* Even if you don't have a bread maker, I think you could still do this recipe. Follow all the directions, but knead the dough yourself instead of adding it to a bread maker. Let it rise for about an hour after you finish kneading and before you start to divide it.*



We served them warm with Easter dinner and let me tell you, they were a huge hit! Everyone was raving about how delicious they were. If there is one thing I know, we will never go back to buying dinner rolls for the holidays. Give it a try and let me know how it works out!

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment