Tuesday 27 March 2012

Getting Started

I just want to send out a huge THANK YOU to everyone reading this. It has taken me a long time to get to this point and I have finally found the confidence and drive to take the first step.

A month ago I would have laughed if you told me that I would be writing a blog. ME? I mean who would ever want to read about my boring life? There is nothing that I am doing that someone else halfway around the world (or even next door for that matter) would care about... Then I started to think... I am pretty cool. I have good ideas, and maybe someone will care. Even if it is one person, I should take the chance and start sharing my stories, my ideas, and my life with people. So here it is...

I always knew I was a little creative. Mostly because I totally sucked at Math and Science and enjoyed going to English and art classes. I had no idea in high school what I wanted to do. All I knew was that I was pretty lazy. I need to clarify this though. By lazy I mean that I enjoy my time off. I looked forward to leaving school and work and going home to spend time with my family, going out with my friends and that kind of thing. I hated my part time job and going to school because I always had to do things the way the teacher or my boss wanted it done. I knew other ways would work or be more successful but I always had to do it their way. In my final year of high school I signed up for a photography class. A class existed where I could take pictures and get a grade for this?!?!?!?! This is perfect! I would be given a BAD grade for doing it the way someone else did. I would get in trouble for NOT pushing the envelope and doing things a little different. I thought I found my calling! This was the PERFECT job for me! I couldn't fail at this!

I went to university and studied Photography and the Media Communications for four years. I loved every minute of it... (Except those darn courses where I had to write essays a certain way and where I had to memorize information that I was never going to use again). I loved University because of the independence I felt I had. I got to read interesting books and articles that our Professors gave us, I met some amazing creative people, and the best thing about it was that I got to learn about things I actually liked and cared about. As I started to near the end of my second last year of school, everything my professors were telling us about perusing a photographic career started to take its toll. They said it takes a long time to get in the business, it would be long hours, and we would have to work weekends if we wanted to make any money. It would be this and that and it started to sound like something that didn't fit with what I wanted. I wanted a 9-5 Monday - Friday full time salaried creative photographer position... with benefits! Wait a second... Did that even exist? I started to get a little nervous and thought I could change careers and go into graphic design. I had already learned all the basics, I could get an entry level position and take it from there. I would be fine! I looked and looked and but there was nothing out there. I started looking for a job about half way through my final year at University was losing hope fast that I would be employed at all. No one was offering anything permanent and stable. It was all small freelance work that didn't pay well and I was freaking out. About a week before graduation I found the perfect job. It was Monday to Friday, 9-5, salary position... and yes... Benefits! I went for an interview and got the job. I started a week after I graduated university :) Well I have been here now for almost 4 years.

I should start out by saying that I do love my job. I have learned so much working there and I have met some of the most amazing people in the world at my job. I am so lucky to have had this opportunity at such a young age to to have met so many great friends that will be in life forever. But, at the end of the day, it just feels like I need more than this. I am finding more and more, as the days continue, that I am not getting everything out of life that I want anymore. I don't go home and feel like I did something to be proud of. I go home and I'm tired and unmotivated. I don't want to be a person who wished their life away. I don't want to look back on my life and ask myself why I didn't just take a chance or give something that I love a shot.

As a side note... I met my, now husband, back in university. I knew the second that I saw him that he would be someone who would be in my life forever. After three and a half years of dating, we got engaged, and planned to both get stable work, buy a house, and get married... In that order. And that just what we did. We both found jobs after school, and saved for a house which we just purchase last May, and a month ago we tied the knot. :)

But now what... I didn't plan any further ahead! Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a planner and when I don't have a plan anything can happen.. Good or bad! I have spend about 2 years planning a wedding and focusing on that. We had our dream day but a week after the wedding I felt lost. I thought we were supposed to be in the honeymoon phase for a lot longer than a week! I'm finding that I'm more irritable, tired, and angry. I am not that person and something needs to change. Like now!

So this is where I'm at now. I think I caught you all up. I know the one thing I love to do is create... things... anything actually! I want to be my own boss... I want to make the things that make me happy, and I want to make a career doing that. So this is the first step I have taken to making my dream a reality. No one is going to make my dreams come true except me so here I am and I'm getting ready to craft my way though the rest of my life. I hope you all enjoy my story and will continue to follow me!

Let the crafting begin!

THANKS!!!
Ter-

No comments:

Post a Comment