Friday 30 March 2012

Creating The Perfect Etsy Shop

The best way to get your product out there without having the burden of putting all your money and time into opening a physical store is setting up an online store. I have a small obsession with Etsy and all the amazing handmade treasures you can find and thought this would be the best place to show off my products. As I have mentioned before, I'm not the type of person to jump into something without having researched it to the ends of the universe! Although "searching to the end of the universe" is a long and tedious process, it is what I have to do to be comfortable enough to throw myself into this. I mean to have a business making handmade anything takes a lot of time and money and I don't feel comfortable throwing everything I have into this if it doesn't work or take off the way I hope. I have to be prepared for the best and the worst that can come out of this.

I always think it is smart to talk to people who have done what I am looking to do. They have been were I am and they can give me some insight on things that never even crossed my mind! I found some books about going to the next level in making your hobby a business. My husband bought these books for Christmas last year. Thank God he listened to me going on and on about how I want to start crafting etc. because these books are fantastic!


The Handmade Marketplace: How to sell your crafts locally, globally and online By Kari Chapin has been a lifesaver! She did a great job of making the process simple to understand and she give tons of options for you to brand, market and sell your goods. I am currently flying through the chapters and I know this is going to something that I can refer back to over and over again. She has created a community of crafters that all have come together and been included in the book. It is really wonderful to hear all of their ideas, advice and inspirations stories! Every chapter is loaded with these amazing successful people giving away all their greatest secrets! I have to give a big thank you to my husband for finding this awesome book!


Craft Inc: Turn Your Creative Hobby Into a Business by Meg Mateo Ilasco is another great book my husband found for me! This one is a fun and easy to read book as well. It gets really specific and talks about pricing which is something that a lot of other craft books don't really touch on. I haven't read too far into it yet but it is next on my list!

I have also been finding some books in my research that are specific to starting an online business on Etsy! I cannot possibly be expected to wait until Christmas for my husband to get me a new batch of reading material so I'm thinking about going out to Chapters this weekend and looking around! I will keep you posted! Its just so amazing that there is so much material out there that people have made to help passionate crafters like me along!

Another great way to get inspiration is to sign up to the Etsy Success Newsletter! I get weekly newsletters with advice and tips from some of the most successful Etsy shop owners! There is nothing more inspiring then hearing about someone else who was in the same position as me and made the most of it! If ever I am feeling defeated or down, I just read my emails about these great successes!

I can't wait to open my shop! I can tell this weekend I will be working on creating some more inventory! Wish me luck! Have a great weekend! I know I will!! :)

Ter-
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment